Virginia Federal Drug Lawyer
Interstate drug trafficking and other federal drug crimes are prosecuted vigorously by federal law enforcement agencies. If you are accused of violating the federal drug laws outlined in the Controlled Substances Act, quickly contact a Virginia federal drug lawyer for aggressive defense representation. A federal defense attorney in Virginia can look at your case and help minimize the harm of your charges. Call today.
Working with a Virginia Federal Drug Lawyer
Federal drug cases may involve drug possession, cultivation, or manufacture on federal property or tribal lands, or they may involve interstate drug distribution or narcotics trafficking.
If you are accused or indicted on allegations of violating the federal Controlled Substances Act, working with a Virginia federal drug attorney can help you actively defend your rights within the criminal justice system.
Hiring experienced legal counsel gives you someone in your corner, fighting for your best interests every step of the way. The Virginia federal drug lawyers at our firm can make a positive impact on your case by:
- Communicating with you about the status of your case, answering your questions, and addressing your concerns
- Preparing you for court appearances and trial
- Holding investigators and prosecutors accountable for working within your constitutional rights as a defendant
- Challenging evidence against you, both through working to suppress illegally obtained evidence and disputing the prosecution’s claims
- Aggressively defending your innocence at trial or negotiating a plea for a favorable outcome
We are not afraid to take on the federal agencies that may be involved in your case, including the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Having a federal drug defense lawyer in your corner allows you to go through the justice process with confidence.
Federal Drug Laws: The Controlled Substances Act
Many drug crimes are prosecuted at the state level, but sometimes, drug cases fall under the jurisdiction of the United States government. Federal drug cases include the following:
- Possession of a controlled substance in a national park or on other federal property
- Manufacture of methamphetamine or cultivation of marijuana on Native American tribal lands
- Interstate drug distribution or distributing drugs on federal or tribal property
- Interstate or international drug trafficking
Federal drug offenses and penalties are outlined in 21 U.S. Code Part D.
Drug penalties can be quite severe. In 21 U.S. Code 844, the penalty for simple possession is up to one year in jail on the first offense; subsequent offenses carry a sentence of 15 days to two years. However, a federal drug lawyer in Virginia can often work to get these cases dismissed or negotiate minimal sentencing that could keep you out of jail altogether.
More serious than simple possession are the federal offenses of illegal manufacture of a controlled substance, illegal distribution of a controlled substance, drug trafficking, and possession with intent to distribute or manufacture a controlled substance or counterfeit substance (841). Depending on the specific offense, penalties range from 10 years to life in prison if convicted. With adequate defense, however, you may be able to beat the charge or negotiate the best possible outcome.
Virginia Federal Drug Defense Lawyers
If you have been accused of a federal drug crime in Virginia or have been arrested, call today for a free consultation with a Virginia federal drug attorney prepared to handle the challenges of your case. Federal drug charges are often very intricate and can get complicated. There are a variety of factors that can come into play during federal drug cases, including considerations of attempt or conspiracy. Prosecutors are always searching to prosecute the bigger fish up the proverbial food chain, and will use necessary means to help them get there.